OK, so I am taking part in this cute little knitty swappy thing and I am supposed to answer questions about my knitting, uhm, habits. So here!
1) Are you a yarn snob> Err, kind of. I have gotten a lot worse in the last few years. Maybe because of my love of fashion and my love of sewing, but the "hand" of a yarn is one of the main reasons I enjoy knitting. More expensive yarn often also has a richer hand to it. (So, the short answer is yes, I am a terrible yarn snob, but I have come up with a justification for it, ha.)
2) Do you spin/crochet? No, I am crochet-disabled and I'd like to spin, but I have no room to deal with that in my current apartment, nor do I think that the cats would be able to keep themselves from, uhm, feasting on the unspun wool. (They are sort of dumb, these cats. I have caught them eating toilet paper, small shards of wood, and plastic bags.)
3) Do you have any allergies? I am hella allergic to gold, which is not so relevant in the case of yarn, I guess. But, lemme tell you, I didn't know that I had that allergy until during my freshman year of college, a guy I really, really thought was keen brough a bottle of Goldschlager to a party and gave me some, and I thought I was going to die to death after consuming a mere shotglass full! But I digress...
4) How long have you been knitting? No idea, but my mom tried to teach me many times as a child. I think I have been knitting proficiently for about 8 years.
5) Do you have an Amazon wishlist? Yes, but, uhm, I don't give it out, because I use it as a sort of personal list to remind myself of things I'd like to pick up, not so much for anyone else to see. (Well that and because of all the porn, obviously. Ha ha.)
6) What's your favorite scent (for candles, etc.)? I like sweet food smells, probably because I don't eat sweet foods. I like pumpkin spice and vanilla and stuff like that, delish! I read this article somewhere about how food scents have been marketed to women in lotions and candles because of body- and food-hate, so maybe that's it.
7) Do you have a sweet tooth? I do, but I do not indulge it, except when I can find a package of Red Vines, which are my #1 with a bullet weakness.
8) What other crafts or DIY things do you like to do? I sew but I don't have my machine set up in Massachusetts. I make sugar-free baked goods also, if that counts, and this granola recipe that my friend Alison made up.
9)What kind of music do you like? (And can your compyter play MP3s?) No MP3s please, but thanks. My computer can, but I am really weird about downloading shit. But I love most music, with favorites being indie pop, alt-country and select "classic" rock (eew, I hate that genre term though). I am a huge music geek.
10) What's your favorite color? Pink, duh! And also, bright greens. I wear a lot of black, because I read too much Vogue. And I love red also.
11) What is your family situation? And do you have any pets? There is a Mr. Pink, and we have 3 cats.
12) What are your life dreams? Err, to move out of New England. And, of course, to become a gay icon.
13) What are your favorite yarns to knit with? Any and all things Rowan, Koigu or Noro, most Debbie Bliss also. I also have a soft spot a mile wide for Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride.
14) What fibers do you absolutely not like? Not so much with cotton, though some of it is okay. Also, not such a big fan of the scratchy sorts of acrylics, but you know, who is?
15) What are your current knitting obsessions? Mittens and hats for Afghans for Afghans. Why? Small, quick, fun and you can use up tons of crazy odds and ends. Also, I am a scarfaholic fashion-wise, so I knit them a lot, though I do not necessarily enjoy making them since they're so long.
16) What are your favorite items to knit? As above, and also, I like to make sweaters all right.
17) What are you knitting right now? An acid green mohair wrap that is so fucking dull but gorgeous-looking; cotton hat for Afghans for Afghans; a pink and green hooded sweater.
18) What do you think about ponchos> I am pro-poncho!
19) Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Straight, I think, but most importantly, bamboo almost always.
20) How did you learn to knit? My mom!
21) How old is your oldest UFO (UnFinished Object)? Oh, probably about a year old -- I am usually pretty good about that stuff, actually.